Day School – K-2
The Day School Experience
Children in Kindergarten and First or Second Grade possess a natural curiosity and come to school eager to learn and eager to please. While exploring their sense of self, they begin to see their place in the world. Routine and structure are necessary for them. At this point they are developing a sense of responsibility and take pride in their accomplishments. Also, creative expression in various forms is quite evident throughout early childhood, the years of greatest growth and change — physically, mentally and emotionally. For this reason, our teachers educate the whole child.
Our Day School experience lays a foundation of educational excellence and a love of learning by encouraging the cognitive, social, emotional, and physical development of each student in a safe and nurturing atmosphere. Children learn best in a diverse, active and engaging environment that recognizes individual talents and learning styles. Thus, students are inspired to develop a sense of responsibility for themselves and a respect for others.
A Child-centered classroom focuses on the acquisition and development of basic, core skills and problem solving strategies through innovative educational activities. This approach enables our students to evolve into confident, lifelong learners who consistently strive toward their full potential while being aware of their personal learning styles.
A Safe and Supportive Environment
The Pembroke teaching environment encourages children to become life long learners by carefully teaching to a child’s individual strengths and weaknesses in such a way that both are bolstered. In this way, the child experiences success in all areas of their development. Teachers keep the following educational goals foremost in their minds as they create learning experiences for children:
- Foster a love of learning
- Develop fundamental academic skills
- Apply and integrate intellectual processes
- Recognize and support various learning styles
- Develop physical and artistic expression
- Promote individual social and emotional development
- Instill the virtues of good citizenship and social responsibility
- Applications for the next school year are accepted beginning in December.
- During the months of December and January, upon receipt of a completed application, we will schedule individual assessments.
- A Kindergarten group session may be held on a Saturday morning in January for current preschool students and, new students not already enrolled at Pembroke.
- A class visit to our Kindergarten will be scheduled for first or second Grade applicants not already enrolled at Pembroke. An assessment will be done the day of the visit. All application forms must be received prior to the class visit.
- Following the group session or visit the admissions committee will meet.
- Notification of admission decisions will be made beginning February 1st.
- First month’s tuition is due with a signed contract.
A completed application includes the following:
- Student Application with a recent photograph
- Parent/Guardian Questionnaire
- Recommendation Form from student’s current teacher
- School Reports, and for first and second grade applicants, a Transcript Release Form to allow school records to be sent to Pembroke.
- A copy of student’s birth certificate
- A non-refundable $75 application fee
- Pembroke closely follows the Avon Lake School’s calendar.
- Our school day begins at 8:45 AM and ends at 3 PM Monday–Fridays.
- Before & After School care is available.
At Pembroke we do our best to make our education affordable and accessible to families. We believe a family’s financial resources should not be a barrier to enrollment. Please inquire about our financial aid program.